POST YOUR SCORES EASILY TO THE SCGA SITE BY PRESSING THIS BUTTON
SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA GOLF ASSOCIATION
The Southern California Golf Association (SCGA) www.scga.org was founded in 1899 to serve the many golfers and businessmen who were moving to Los Angeles. Representatives from five golf clubs met to form the SCGA, and two of those charter clubs—The Los Angeles Country Club and Redlands Country Club—remain members. The others, Riverside Polo and Golf Club (members of which later founded Victoria Club), Santa Monica Country Club and Pasadena Golf Club, have since disbanded.
Since then, the SCGA has become one of the nation’s oldest and largest regional golf associations. By 1925, the SCGA had grown to 45 clubs. In 1971, the SCGA merged with the San Diego County Golf Association to bring the total membership to 171 clubs. In 1981, affiliate member status was created to include groups that didn’t have their own golf courses. That program, the first in the nation, has spread throughout Southern California and become a model for other golf associations.
In 1999, the SCGA celebrated its centennial, and now the SCGA enters a new era, with programs and support to continue to serve its loyal members and member clubs.
On August 19, 2010, the SCGA announced that it would consolidate operations with the Public Links Golf Association of Southern California. This consolidation will become effective January 1, 2011.
For more information on the extensive history of the SCGA, view the latest installment of the Centennial Series.